Why Are V-shaped Sealing Rings Used In Mechanical Parts?
A V-ring is a shaped packing seal with a V-shaped lip in cross-section. The name of the V-ring seal is the same as the O-ring seal because its cross-section is V-shaped so named, V-ring seal belongs to a kind of lip-shaped seal.
A V-shaped sealing ring is generally composed of three parts: the support ring, the sealing ring, and the pressure ring. A standard V-ring seal has an angle of 90 degrees and in some workplaces 60 degrees. The support ring is an important part of the support V-seal. It has a thick and strong section, precise dimensions, and a concave angle that is the same as the V-seal (90°) or slightly larger, making the seal stable in placement.
The V-Ring is a solid rubber seal used on shafts to prevent dirt, moisture, and other unwanted materials from entering the oil seal, housing, or any other desired area while keeping the lubricant in. It produces a tight seal along the shaft by extending over the shaft, while the flexible lip rests gently against the mating surface at right angles to the shaft.
The V-ring works well on its own and performs well in combination with rotary shaft seals, helping to extend the life of bearings, oil seals, and shafts.
Sealing ring (Type V)
Benefits of V-Rings
- Simple – little to no preparation is required for installation. Simply make sure the shaft is clean and dried, apply a coat of lubricant to the V-ring lip, and slide the V-ring down until the flexible lip contacts the mating surface. The lip is pressed against the opposite side with very little pressure and friction.
- Economical – Wide tolerances allow a single V-ring to be fitted to a wide range of shaft sizes and resolve a large number of shaft misalignments and eccentricities in the shaft. Its durability ensures a long service life and will not be damaged during installation.
- Versatile – performs well in dry applications, rotating and oscillating shafts, and at high speeds of over 3000 FPM.
It has the characteristics of low working resistance, smooth running, high-pressure resistance, vibration resistance, impact resistance, etc. It can meet the characteristics of different media and use conditions and can be used overlapping many times and obtain the best sealing effect by adjusting the compression force. However, its frictional resistance, complex structure, the need to match the pressure ring and support ring, and sealing performance is not stable. It is suitable for reciprocating movement of piston or piston rod as a dynamic seal, and can also be partially used for rotating, rotary, or static sealing components.
As mentioned above, the V-ring packings generally consist of three parts: the middle V-ring, the upper and lower support rings, and the compression ring. V-rings can be 3 pieces, 5 pieces, 7 pieces, etc. …… according to your requirements. For more information or to request a quotation for V-Rings, please call +44 7733 510983 or submit a product inquiry form.
Why are V-Rings used for mechanical parts?
V-rings are used in a wide range of applications and lip seals are one with a long history. Compared to other lip seals, the main features of V-seals are as follows.
1) Several applications can be stacked depending on the pressure applied. The sealing function increases with the number of stacks, but it is important to note that the connection is not linear; also the frictional resistance increases.
2) High ability to follow the pain load and movement of the piston or piston rod, with good leak-proofing.
3) If the seal is deformed or worn during operation and leakage occurs, it can be adjusted by its pressing mechanism and then pressed again, which can be used for a long time, with reliable sealing and long life.
4) Cuttable device, easy to install and maintain, suitable for places where it is difficult to replace the seal ring.
5) Can be used for low pressure (5MPa) and low speed (3m/min) rolling.
6) No need to prevent extrusion at high pressure.
7) High frictional resistance, difficulty to adjust, and large installation space.
For more information, please contact Jianke Huifeng Science.